- Open Access
Assessment of chronic ankle instability
© Refshauge and Hiller; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2012
- Published: 10 April 2012
Chronic ankle instability is a complex problem which often follows ankle sprain. This workshop will discuss the latest models of chronic ankle instability and give an overview of the latest research in the area. Assessment tools available in the clinic as well as the laboratory setting will be demonstrated in the workshop with the opportunity for participants to practice. Assessments covered will include; balance, strength, joint laxity, motor control, and proprioception.
- Arnold BL, De La Motte S, Linens S, et al: Ankle instability is associated with balance impairments: a meta-analysis. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009, 41: 1048-1062. 10.1249/MSS.0b013e318192d044.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Delahunt E, Coughlin G, Caulfield B, et al: Inclusion criteria when investigating insufficiencies in chronic ankle instability. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010, 42: 2106-2121. 10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181de7a8a.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hertel J: Functional anatomy, pathomechanics, and pathophysiology of lateral ankle instability. J Athl Train. 2002, 37: 364-375.PubMed CentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hiller CE, Kilbreath SL, Refshauge KM: Chronic ankle instability: evolution of the model. J Athl Train. 2011, 46: 133-141. 10.4085/1062-6050-46.2.133.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hiller CE, Nightingale EJ, Lin CW, et al: Characteristics of People with Recurrent Sprains: A systematic review with Meta-analysis. Br J Sports Med. 2011, 45: 660-672. 10.1136/bjsm.2010.077404.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Munn J, Sullivan SJ, Schneiders AG: Evidence of sensorimotor deficits in functional ankle instability: a systematic review with meta-analysis. J Sci Med Sport. 2010, 13: 2-12. 10.1016/j.jsams.2009.03.004.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wikstrom EA, Naik S, Lodha N, et al: Balance capabilities after lateral ankle trauma and intervention: a meta-analysis. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009, 41: 1287-1295. 10.1249/MSS.0b013e318196cbc6.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.